miércoles, 9 de enero de 2013

30

I like games with an interesting subject matter. A good game is a good game, obviously, but abstract games tends to bore me.

Perhaps it is due to I studied dramatic art years ago but I need to feel I play an especific role when I play a game. In a game about Star Wars, for example, I don't play in the same way if a choose the imperial side or the rebel side.

When I decided to create a game, first of all was chose a theme and after this, I tried to create a game system to represent that theme.

In "15 Days" 's case the theme is the death of Philip III of Spain and the court confrontation between two families to become his son, Phiplip IV, favorite minister. First problem I found was how to show this specific historic moment. I read some books about that period for researching and inspiration. The following three books help me a lot:

Grand Annals of fifteen days, by Francisco de Quevedo. This book is the game's father (And gives the game its name). The Spanish dramatist relate in this book what happen in the Spanish court after Philip III's death.

Only Madrid is court, by Alonso Nuñez de Castro. A good and contemporary view over Spanish court and its members in 17th century.

The King is having fun, by Jose Deleito y Piñuela. The story of Philip IV's life and his amusement.
Me gustan los juegos con un tema interesante. Un buen juego es un buen juego, obviamente, pero los juegos abstractos tienden a aburrirme.

Quizás es debido a que estudié arte dramático hace años, pero necesito sentir que escenifico un rol concreto cuando juego. En un juego sobre La Guerra de las Galaxias, por ejemplo, no juego igual si elijo a los imperiales o a los rebeldes.

Cuando decidí crear un juego, lo primero de todo fue escoger un tema y después, traté de crear un sistema de juego para representarlo.

En el caso de "15 Días" el tema es la muerte de Felipe III y la lucha en la corte entre dos familias para llegar a ser el valido de su hijo, Felipe IV. El primer problema que encontré fue como mostrar este momento este momento histórico concreto. Leí varios libros para investigar e inspirarme. Los siguientes tres libros me ayudaron mucho:

Grandes Anales de Quince Días, de Francisco de Quevedo. Este libro es el padre del juego (y le da nombre). El dramaturgo español relata en este libro que pasó en la corte españole despues de la muerte de Felipe III.

Solo Madrid es Corte, de Alonso Nuñez de Castro. Una buena y contemporánea revisión de la corte española y sus miembros en el siglo XVII.

El Rey se divierte, de Jóse Deleito y Piñuela. La historia de la vida de Felipe IV y sus divertimentos.
The second problem I found was how to transform all the information I had in a game system. I'll write about that in my next post.

Cheers!
El segundo problema que me encontré fue como transformar toda la información que tenía en un sistema de juego. Escribiré sobre ello en mi siguiente post.

¡Saludos!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario